Thursday, January 31, 2008

Beat Depression Before It Harms Your Health

Depression is a volatile issue in the Christian community. Some claim it's a disease. Others claim it's an emotional state caused by sin. Regardless of which camp you're in, you have to agree that depression can have serious repercussions on your health. It can contribute to heart disease, cancer, obesity, and many other health challenges. But there's a simple way to stop depression in its tracks before it becomes a chronic issue and a threat to your health.

Many people have short bouts of depression that last a day or two, or maybe even a week. This isn't at all uncommon. I know I've had them myself. In fact, I had one a few years ago and a friend of mine gave me an incredible remedy. Since then, I've given it to several other people and it has worked every time. Of course, that's not a scientific study, but I believe that this is definitely a remedy that works. And I think you'll find it very useful.

Before I tell you what this remedy is, let me tell you what it is not. It is not an antidepressant drug. These drugs can cause some of the same health problems as the depression. So I think you should be very wary of treating depression with drugs.

No, this remedy is simply some words of truth. I was feeling down and I told my friend about it. His reply was humble and without any accusation, but it still cut hard. He said, "You know, any time I start feeling depressed I evaluate my thoughts. And what I find is that most of them are focused on me."

It cut hard because I realized my depression was caused largely by thoughts that I deserved more than I was getting. Whether it was unfulfilled expectations, something bad happening to me, or some type of failure on my part, I knew I was down because I wanted more. I wasn't content. I thought more was owed to me. But when I gave up my right to "more" and focused instead on serving God and others, my depression vanished. I was amazed at how well this remedy worked!

This may not solve every case of depression, but it certainly can't hurt to try. After all, I've never seen one single case of disease caused by contentment. Getting your focus off of yourself and on to others may do wonders for your condition!

No comments: